McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act
The Pottsville Area School District recognizes its obligation to ensure that homeless students have access to the same educational programs and services provided to other district students. The district shall make reasonable efforts to identify homeless children within the district, encourage their enrollment, and eliminate existing barriers to their attendance and education, in compliance with federal and state law and regulations.
Homeless students are defined as individuals lacking a fixed, regular and nighttime residence, which include students living under the following conditions:
1. Sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing or economic hardship.
2. Living in motels, hotels, trailer parks or camping grounds due to lack of adequate alternative accommodations.
3. Living in emergency, transitional or domestic violence shelters.
4. Abandoned in hospitals.
5. Living in public or private places not designed for or ordinarily used as regular sleeping accommodations for human beings
6. Living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, transportation stations or similar settings.
7. Living as migratory children in conditions described in previous examples.
8. Living as run-away children.
9. Being abandoned or forced out of homes by parents/guardians or caretakers.
10.Living as school age unwed mothers in houses for unwed mothers if they have no other living accommodations.
Students shall not be discriminated against, segregated nor stigmatized based on their status as homeless.
When a student is claiming or thought to be homeless, their name and contact information should be directed to the PASD Homeless Liaison.
Should you have any questions, you can contact the PASD Homeless Liaison, Mr. Pat Brennan at email@example.com or 570-622-3264.
Below are links to resources with further information and details.
Pennsylvania Department of Education - Education for Children and Youth Experiencing Homelessness Program
Pottsville Area School District Board Policy on Homeless Students - Policy #251