Welcome to John S. Clarke Elementary Center. We are so glad you are visiting our website, and we hope it will help you get to know our school.
John S. Clarke Elementary Center is a wonderful place to teach and to learn. We have a warm and welcoming atmosphere, hardworking and compassionate students, and a dedicated faculty.
John S. Clarke Elementary Center is committed to academic and behavioral excellence. PRIDE is what Pottsville Area School District calls its positive behavior intervention & supports program (PBIS).
Our students learn our school expectations in all environments:
- Prepare – keep eyes and ears on the teacher, be ready to listen and learn
- Respect – Listen to others while they speak, use soft voices, keep work space clean
- Inspire – treat others kindly
- Demonstrate – follow directions, keep hands, feet, and objects to self
- Excel – help each other, be a good friend
Pottsville Area School District’s goal is to create a positive school climate in which students can succeed academically and socially. We do this by offering incentives and rewards to students who follow school rules and who demonstrate positive behaviors. We also identify those students who need extra supports and incentives to ensure that everyone in the Pottsville Area School District achieves academic and social success.
We offer many different types of rewards and incentives for our students. Such as, if staff sees that a student is following the rules on the bus, in the hallways, the cafeteria or in the classrooms, they have a chance to earn PRIDE cash. PRIDE cash can be spent in the classroom stores or spent at our PRIDE events. If students are seen doing something extra special, like demonstrating kindness towards a peer, they can earn red tickets. Students who receive a red ticket have a chance to win bigger and better prizes. We also plan special events for our students every quarter to let them know that we are proud of all of their hard work and for following the rules.
Parents are strongly encouraged to become involved in the school. When parents attend school functions, they demonstrate to their children a value for school and education. Attending events such as back to school night, special events, parent/teacher conferences, and PTO meetings are all important ways that parents learn about what’s going on at school.
Ways to get involved in your child’s education at John S. Clarke Elementary Center:
1. Consider joining the John S. Clarke Elementary Center PTO. Forms are available in the school office and online.
2. Ask your child questions about what he/she learned in school that day. (“What did you learn in math today?” or “What stories are you reading in school?”)
3. Read to your child every day.
4. Check your child’s backpack daily for letters or flyers about upcoming events.
5. Call the school or email school staff if you have any questions or concerns.
6. Assist your child with homework assignments by creating a quiet environment to work.
7. Check the Skyward parent portal for student information.
Thank you for your continued support of our school.